Thursday, March 14, 2013

EDLD 5364 Teaching with Technology Course Reflections-UDL Lesson


This week’s assignment called for the application of our learning.  We were asked to create a unit or lesson using the UDL lesson planning format, a ebook and complete an action plan within our groups for our mock scenario. 
The creation of the UDL lesson proved to simpler than I originally anticipated.  I used the CAST UDL Online Lesson Builder to complete this portion of the assignment.  I realized that I appealed to all three brain networks without consciously do so.  However, upon completion, I referred back to Using Technology with Classroom Instruction that Works (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, p.217) and examined the four planning questions:
1.    What will the students learn?
2.    Which strategies will provide evidence of 
       student learning?
3.    Which strategies will help students acquire and integrate learning?
4.    Which strategies will help students practice, review and apply learning?

Upon examination, I reviewed my lesson to make sure that I could successfully answer each question in detail.  I quickly realized that while I was comfortable with my lesson, that I hadn’t included any technologies.  According to Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn & Malenoski, “It is essential that teachers design a quality lesson plan first and then select the most appropriate technologies to support that lesson” (2007, p.217).  I followed the advice of the text, and went back through my lesson and added technologies that I felt were most supportive of my lesson goal.

This week’s assignment was really great practice for full-scale classroom implementation!

Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom 

No comments:

Post a Comment