Saturday, March 9, 2013

EDLD 5364 Teaching with Technology Course Reflections


The Universal Design for Learning platform provided such much needed guidance for this week’s and next week’s assignment.  From pursing sample lessons and experimenting with the CAST book builder website, I was able to reflect on my own lesson planning and clearly see the aspects that I need to pay more attention to when creating lessons for my students.  According to brain research presented by the CAST UDL Lesson Builder there are three networks that play a major role in the way people learn, Recognition, Strategic and Affective networks.  Recognition networks are described as the “what” of learning, and beg the question of how learners gather, identify and categorize facts.  Strategic networks are described as the “how” of learning and questions how learners express and present internalized information.  Affective networks are described as the “why” of learning and concern itself with levels of engagement and the motivation of learners.
I need to approach each lesson that I create with these three brain networks in mind.  I think that this will help me to differentiate instruction, keep students engaged and explore new tools and strategies to introduce in the classroom.  
Lessonbuilder.cast.org (nd). Principles of Universal Design for Learning. Retrieved from http://lessonbuilder.cast.org/window.php?src=videos

No comments:

Post a Comment